10 May May and June 2014 Volume 2, Issue 5 |Spice Up Your Grilling Season
Grilling season has finally arrived. We here at Frieling, are embracing it with Gourmet Grilling Wraps – you should, too!
Looking for a new dish to feature this summer or just a new way to spice up your menu? Take a serious look at the Gourmet Grilling Wraps featured this month.
The wooden wraps are a unique and economical way to incorporate the popular and flavorful “plank grilling” style, while also creating an attractive table presentation.
Your imagination is really your only limit with these wraps. Try soaking them in a flavored liquid to bring out a unique taste profile, or cutting them with scissors to wrap individual scallops for an appetizer worthy of the wows it will receive.
May 2014 – Whiskey Marinated Filet w/ Herb Butter in a Cherry Wrap
For the Steak:
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup whiskey
- 1 tbs honey
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 8oz Filets
- 2 Grill Wraps
- 2 Long Scallions (or butcher’s twine)
For the Herb Butter:
- 2 sticks or ½ lb of salted, European style butter, softened
- ½ cup of fresh chives, chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh, flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 1 Tbs fresh garlic, minced and made into a thick paste
- 3 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 2 Tbs fresh oregano, minced
- 1 Tbs fresh thyme, minced,
- freshly cracked white pepper to taste
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in a plastic bag and marinate two 8-12 oz. filet’s for 30 minutes to an hour.
- While this is marinating make the herb butter:
a.Combine all fresh herbs and mix into the softened butter.
b. Using a sheet of parchment paper, roll the butter into a log roughly the diameter of a quarter.
c. Wrap plastic wrap around the parchment encased butter and place the butter in the freezer. The butter will keep like this for up to 8 months.
d. When ready to use your butter just cut off the amount you need from the log in slices and return the remainder to the freezer. The butter you have cut off can be defrosted and enjoyed.
- Pre-heat your grill.
- While the grill is pre-heating, soak your Cherry flavored grill wraps and scallions/twine in water for a minimum of 10 minutes.
- Take your steaks out of the marinade and roll them in the grill wraps. Secure the Grill Wraps, opening on the top, with one of the scallions/twine.
- Once your grill has reached temperature, and your wraps are ready, place them on the grill with the lid down until they have reached your desired internal temperature. There is no need to flip the grill packet during cooking but stay close and check on them from time to time so that you can spritz them with water should there be any flare-ups.
a.You should always use a thermometer to ensure your food reaches the proper internal temperature, as a general guide, Rare is 125° F, Medium is 140° F, and Well is 170° F.
- To plate, serve the wrap as a whole so that your guest can un-tie the package and top with herb butter.
Makes 2 servings.
Recipe by: Brianna N. Eason