10 Jan January 2015 Volume 3, Issue 1| Decadent Chocolate Tarts for Valentine’s Day
Happy New Year!
Ring in the new year and the start of chocolate season with full size or individual tart pans.
January 2015 – Decadent Chocolate Tart with Strawberry Whipped Cream
Prep Time: 2 hours and 45 minutes
• 9 honey graham crackers, crushed
• 5 Tbs butter, melted
• 1/4 cup sugar, plus 2 Tbs
• 2 1/4 cups of heavy cream, plus 4 Tbs
• 2 large eggs
• pinch of salt
• 12 1/2 ounces of semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 2 tsp light corn syrup
• 2 Tbs warm water
• 1/2 cup strawberries
Directions for the Crust:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
2. Stir together the graham crackers, butter, and 1/4 cup sugar until combined.
3. Pour into an 11″ Nonstick Tart Pan, and press evenly into the bottom and 3/4″ up the sides.
4. Bake until firm, roughly 10 minutes.
5. Allow to cool to room temperature.
1. Bring 1 1/4 cups of cream to a boil.
2. Finely chop 9 oz of chocolate and place into a heat safe bowl.
3. Pour the cream over the chocolate once it reaches a boil and stir slowly until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and salt before pouring into the bowl with the melted chocolate.
5. Stir slowly until smooth and pour into the cooled crust.
6. Bake until filling is set about three inches from the edges. The center will not be set at this point but will set up as it cools. This should take roughly 20 – 25 minutes.
7. Cool completely, roughly 1 hour.
1. In a small, microwave safe bowl combine 4 tbs cream and 2.5 oz. of chocolate.
2. Place in the microwave and heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until smooth.
3. Stir in corn syrup and water.
4. Pour onto the cooled tart and rotate the tart until the glaze covers the filling.
5. Let stand for 1 hour until glaze sets.
6. Top with rosettes of Strawberry Whipped Cream.
1. Whip 1 cup of cream until frothy.
2. Sprinkle in 2 Tbs of sugar and continue whisking until the cream forms stiff peaks.
3. In a blender or a separate bowl, blend or smash 1/2 cup of strawberries into a soup-like consistency.
4. Fold the blended/mashed strawberries into the cream and whip with a wire whisk until desired constancy is reached. If your whipped cream breaks you can revive it with an additional 2 tablespoons of cream.
Makes 6 – 8 servings
Recipe by: Brianna N. Eason